Friday, December 11, 2020

Dancing with Bill Doran

Back in May I did a run down of Tony's Upper Deck cards, including this one from 1990.


Back then, I wrote this: "Tony is trying to avoid getting tagged out at a base there. I think he looks like he is dancing. I'd love to be able to identify the baseman. I think that orange stripe on his arm is an Astros uniform, and his name seems to end RAN. The Astros second baseman in 1989 (when this photo was most likely taken) was Bill Doran, so maybe he is Tony's dance partner here."

Well, I think I've answered this question, based on this other card from the 1990 Upper Deck set that has recently come into my possession.


Yep, that's Tony sliding into second base ...and almost taking Bill out at the knees!

Bill's card was #198 in the set. 


I'm not counting this as a Tony Gwynn card, in the same way I didn't count the Greg Vaughn card where he is obscured by Tony, when I blogged about it.

I'm fairly sure both these photos are from the same game, given the uniforms. Which would be cool if true. They certainly seemed to be competing!


It is fun to have Tony appear on other player's cards and for that appearance to be reciprocated. 

Total: 530 cards (same total as yesterday)



2 comments:

  1. I spent about 10 minutes looking at box scores on baseball reference trying to see if I could figure out when these photographs were taken. I was unsuccessful. There are much better card detectives out there. Maybe one of them will be able to tell us if this is indeed from the same game. It does sure look like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of doing that. I'm pretty sure it's the same game given the background.

      Delete