Thursday, December 17, 2020

Two cards to launch a Pacific quintet

I have five cards that Pacific released in 1999 left to blog, so I'm going to do two today and three tomorrow. Let's kick off with Tony's base card from Pacific's main release.

Card Number 538: Pacific, 1999; #368

A glorious posed photo on the front! There is another version of this card, with Tony swinging at the plate. Pacific often released two versions of cards in their sets.


The cardback mentions Tony reaching the 2,900 hit mark. I like to think Pacific were already gearing up to release their Hit Machine 3000 cards.


Card Number 539: Pacific (team checklists), 1999; #29

The team checklists were numbered from 1 to 30, separately from the main set. 


Because this is a team checklist, it shows that Pacific has adopted a Fleer-esque approach to numbering - all the Padres were sequential in the set.


The design of the checklists cards are classic late-90s photoshopping. It's a style Pacific really went in for across a lot of their sets. They also tried to use as many different fonts as possible, but didn't prioritise legibility.

I'll finish off the quintet tomorrow.

Total: 539 cards

2 comments:

  1. I loved how Fleer would number their sets back in the day. Made it so easy to sort. And I also enjoyed how Pacific turned the team checklist into an insert. I'm not sure if I even own any of the Padres, but I do have a Packers one and I think a Seahawks checklist too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going to have checklists then you may as well do something different with them. I have a lot of checklists with Tony on.

      Delete