Monday, December 14, 2020

Modern Monday in the Museum

I received this card from Graham, alongside the Gold Label cards I blogged about a couple of weeks ago.

Card Number 533: Topps Museum Collection (copper parallel), 2019; #81
Topps Museum Collection is one of those high end sets that I rely on other people buying boxes, breaking them, and then wanting to sell on some of the cards to try and make some of their money back.

Personally, I think this 'copper parallel' with its brown frame looks nicer than the regular Museum cards. But I have that sense of incompleteness that I get when I have a parallel and don't have the vanilla base version.


If you ever want to know if a pin-striped Padre was photographed in the 80s or the 90s then look for the colour in the word Padres, and the colour of the batting helmet. Brown = up to and including the 1990 season. Blue = from 1991 onwards. It's a slight shame that this copper parallel isn't framing a photo of Tony in a complementary brown batting helmet.

The write up on the cardback is suitably 'museum-y', mentioning "the game's annals".


Topps have also found a new way to package information. I hadn't seen Tony's All Star appearances presented that way before - 15 appearances in the last 16 years of the 20th Century. Fair play to Topps, they have found a way to phrase that which sounds very special. 

Total: 533 cards

2 comments:

  1. I was curious how Gwynn could have possibly not been selected to the All-Star game in 1988, so I looked up is game logs for that season. Did you know that entering July 2nd's game against the Cardinals... Gwynn was only batting .246. That kinda blew me away. He ended up batting .364 the rest of the way out to raise his season average to .313... which ended up winning him his 3rd batting title... but wasn't even close to Boggs who hit .366 to win the AL batting crown. That was the year Puckett hit .356.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was really struggling with an injury in the first half of '88. I think it was a wrist injury.

      Delete