Thursday, September 16, 2021

Reach for the Stars

I'm running out of useable headlines about stars...

Card Number 730: Topps Stars, 1998; #75

All the base cards in this set were serially numbered to 9,799. I have previously blogged the silver parallelwhich was serially numbered to just 4,399.


I really like this card design because it has actual stars in the background. 

Tony looks solemn, and dare I say it, even a little bit grumpy, in the photo on the cardback.


This is card number 1,168 of 9,799. I can't really think of anything significant linked to 1,168. If you want the answer to the quiz question, that got answered in the comments on the post about the silver parallel!


Card Number 731: Topps Stars, 2000; #170

Tony had two cards in this release - a regular one and this set from a series towards the end of the set. He's in the spotlight, and casting a large golden shadow.


The cardback sets off the BATTING DONUT KLAXON! Fuji has already included this card in his 'dozen doughnuts' post of Tony Gwynn cards. I am gradually collecting all the ones on that list.


The write up on the cardback is a succint summary of Tony's career up to the end of 1999. He barely played in the 2000 season and didn't really improve on any of these numbers in his final couple of seasons.

Total: 731 cards

2 comments:

  1. Topps Stars caught my attention back in 1998... especially the football product. The rookies were reasonably affordable, yet all serial numbered which I thought was cool.

    P.S. Love doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 9,799. I remember when that was rare for an insert. And they made a whole set which was serial numbered to that. Speculation in 98 was you could put your kids through college with this set. When I got back into the hobby I sold 3 sets at auction for $57. That being said, I have always liked the look of this set.

    ReplyDelete