Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Tuesday twins times two

Last week I showed a 'triple', this week I'm showing two sets of two cards that look very alike. Lovers of Upper Deck cards will be excited because both sets are from Upper Deck and were released in 1999.

Card Number 65: UD Choice Preview, 1999; 137


In 1999, Upper Deck rebranded their 'Collector's Choice' range as 'UD Choice'. The entire range is also available with a silver foil word 'Preview' across the top. They are nice looking cards. Nothing particularly special about them.


By 1999, Tony's statistics box was getting pretty full. I don't know what the white box under it is about. It looks like it should be a scratch off panel or something.

Here's the non-Preview version of the card.

Card Number 66: UD Choice, 1999; 137


Apart from not having the word 'Preview' on it, it is exactly the same.


The back is completely identical. In fact I'm not a hundred per cent certain that this is the right card back. I scanned them together on the same scan and I'm pretty sure this is the back of the regular card not the Preview card. But it really doesn't matter.

Card Number 67: UD HoloGrFx, 1999; 50
Yes, it's a holographic card. It's scanned surprisingly well.


The back isn't holographic. It sets out his stats in an unusual way and tips off the reader that Tony is closing in on his 3000th hit.


I didn't notice until I scanned it, but there is a watermark image of Tony's face on the left hand side of the card. The width has been reduced to make it fit the space, squashing him in.

Card Number 68: UD HoloGrFx AuSome, 1999; 50
This is the gold paralell in the "AuSome" range, which is a terrible pun on the periodic table symbol for gold. In hand this card borders on tacky looking.


The back is distinguishable from the regular back by the gold panel at the bottom. Personally, I think card companies should be made to make parallels this obvious.


So those are the Tuesday Twins - I hope you liked them.

Total: 68/394

1 comment:

  1. Nice set of twins. I remember HoloGrFx... but I wonder if I ever got my hands on one of those AuSome parallels.

    ReplyDelete