Sunday, June 21, 2020

Number One Card Only

Sundays are posts when I just show one card. Today the one card is a #1 card, because it was the very first card in the Topps 1996 flagship set.

Card Number 120: Topps, 1996; #1 (Star Power series)
Jasper recently sent me a dozen cards from the Nineties and this is the most Nineties-looking of all of them.


It looks like the animated titles to a long-forgotten terrible TV show. I think what really makes this card epic is the Nineties design crime of using different fonts everywhere! (I lived through the "desktop publishing" era. I have scars.)

I haven't identified the main Star Power font on the front. A huge tip of the hat to blogger Junior Junkie who noticed that it's the same font used in the Hall of Violence in Demolition Man (released in 1993). There's a picture on that link that proves Junior Junkie isn't crazy.

On the cardback you can really appreciate  the quirky "digital" font, which Topps uses on the front with added drop shadow! (Why, Topps? Why?)


It's not the most exciting cardback, compared to the front. However, I also learned from that Junior Junkie post that there were Chrome versions of this card that look even more awesome. The hunt is on!

Total: 120/394

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Pretty cool that Topps hooked Gwynn up with the #1 card. I just checked COMC and it looks like honored him again in 1998.

    ReplyDelete