Friday, April 2, 2021

Lenticular fun with more Sportflics

I am blogging through a small parcel of cards I bought off eBay. Said parcel spent its time winging its way to me, and in the meantime I received an envelope of cards from Tim, which included two Sportflics cards. I knew one of the cards in the eBay purchase was a Sportflics card so I mentally added it to the pile of dupes in the lot, thinking it was bound to be one of the ones I received from Tim. But when it arrived, it was from a different series of Sportflics cards released the year after the ones Tim sent to me.

Card Number 629: Sportflics, 1987; #31

Lenticular cards don't like scanners. And scanners don't like lenticular cards.


There are three pictures in the lenticular array. Tony swinging...


... Tony in his batting stance ...


...and a portrait.


This time around, Sportflics added in a little portrait photo on the back of the card. 


There are apparently two versions of this card - one with a copyright notice saying 1986, and the other version saying copyright 1987. This is the 1986 version. It's not the sort of variation that makes much difference in terms of monetary value of the card.

Sportflics carried on producing these lenticular cards until 1990, so there are a few more featuring Tony from later series. Maybe one day I'll master the art of photographing them.

Total: 629 cards


2 comments:

  1. Just learned about the copyright year variation two months ago on another blog (Kerry's Cards on Cards). The 1986 version came from a factory set, while the 1987 version came out of packs.

    Love the colorful card backs of Sportflics... and the additional photo was a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's very useful info about the copyright notices. Thanks Fuji

    ReplyDelete