Thursday, February 25, 2021

My 600th card - glittering stars

Another blogging milestone today as I list my 600th card. I know this definitely is my 600th card unlike other milestones on the blog that were affected by a miscount. (I blogged about that here.

It has taken me a little while to get here, with more blog posts to cover the 100 cards since my 500th card than for previous centuries. That's mainly because I am now blogging cards as they arrive rather than working through a backlog so there are a lot more single card posts (and, shockingly, even some posts with no new cards at all!)

Today's card was in the recent eBay lot that arrived. I decided to save it for this blog post as it's a bit special.

Card Number 600: Topps Power Boosters, 1996; #1


The plain, non-glittery version of this card featured on the blog in June last year. I noted then that the font for 'Star Power' was the same font used in the film Demolition Man. It's a very 90s font. 11 of the first 12 cards in the Topps 1996 set were in this 'Star Power' theme, and all 11 got the 'Power Booster' parallel treatment, along with 14 draft pick rookie cards that were numbers 13-26 in the base set.

The back is exactly the same as the non-glittery version. There's something about Tony's jawline in that photo that reminds me of Brad Pitt every time I see it.


This feels like as relevant a point as any for a self-indulgent look at some of the other "star" cards in my collection so far. 

Starting with one of my all-time favourite cards...


"Stars" include actual astronomical objects...



...and little design motifs!



And how about this star hidden in the background of the photo?


Well I found looking at them fun! Thank you to everyone who has played a part in helping me to reach the 600-card mark!

Total: 600 cards (obviously!)



2 comments:

  1. I thought it was funny that 11 out of the first 12 cards were part of the Star Power subset and had a parallel version, but not all 12. But after checking COMC, I saw that #7 was Mantle. This started me on a mission. Looks like from 1997 to 2005, Topps retired card #7 from their sets. From 2006 to 2013, they made Mantle #7 again. They retired #7 again from 2014 to 2016. And since then card #7 in the flagship set have been Gary Sanchez, Clint Frazier, Gleyber Torres, and Aaron Judge... all Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topps lost the rights to produce Mantle cards after 2016, which is why he wasn't in Project 2020 and won't be in Project 70.

      Delete