Friday, February 26, 2021

Kicking off my seventh century of cards

A couple of weeks back I had a message from Glenn, asking if I was interested in a relic card from 10 years ago. My collection is a bit thin from around that time, and I'm unlikely to turn down a relic card. 

Card Number 601: 60 Years of Topps Relics, 2011; #T60R-TG

Weirdly, this card arrived the same morning as my first 2021 card, which felt ironic as that card celebrated Topps's 70th anniversary and this card was issued to celebrate Topps's 60th anniversary.


It's hard to make out on the front, but this card was issued  commemorating the players in the National League with the most multiple-hit games since 1920. Tony was fourth on the list and the second one-club man after Stan Musial. There is a lot of arbitrariness to the selection of this statistic - why that particular statistic, and why only after 1920?


And for that matter, the front says this little swatch of white cloth is game-used memorabilia, but there is a disclaimer on the back that says "The relic on this card is not from any specific game, event or season." Make of that what you will.

Looking at my collection stats, this is the third card I've acquired from 2011 and the seventh material relic card. I haven't yet reached the point of feeling jaded by these little cloth patches and this card was interesting enough in terms of marking a niche statistic to make it worthy of kicking off my seventh century of Tony Gwynn cards!

Many thanks again to Glenn for sending me this card.
 
Total: 601 cards




2 comments:

  1. Regardless of how legit the swatches are... I enjoy adding new Gwynn memorabilia cards to my collection when I can find cheap copies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this one was a reasonable price and from a nice set as well.

      Delete