Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Cameo blogger

A little diversion today, to redirect readers to a guest post I wrote for Baseball Fans Only. Dave from the UK Collectors Group on Facebook runs the blog and asked me to write something about collecting Tony Gwynn cards. You can read the post here (and see a picture of me looking a bit tired in the Hall of Fame!)

A couple of weeks back Fuji described a card I showed as a "cameo card" - that's when a player appears on another card that isn't really "theirs". The card in question was this card from the Topps 1989 set which features Tony sliding in to second base on the 'Pirates Leaders' card.


The year prior to this, Tony featured on the Padres Leaders card, alongside Benny Santiago. I'm not sure whether this is really a 'cameo', but it was listed on the checklist just as Padres Leaders and it doesn't have Tony or Benny named on the front.


This is another card that I have already blogged about, which arrived in a joblot of Tony Gwynn cards, but wasn't a Tony Gwynn card. He is high-fiving, and partially obscuring, his team-mate Greg Vaughn.


And here's another card that arrived in a similar lot of Tony Gwynn cards. Like on the first card in this post, he is sliding in to second base. This time it's Astros second baseman Bill Doran trying to avoid a Tony Gwynn slide. 


I admit I'm inconsistent with these cameo cards. The first two I count in the collection, the latter two I don't. I think if it has another player's name on the front then it can't really count as a Tony Gwynn card. 

I hope you enjoyed the cameos - sorry, no new cards today. If you want to see my cameo on Dave's blog, then here's the link again!


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post over on Baseball Fans Only. And I think you've inspired me to start setting aside cameo cards featuring #19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ones I've accumulated have all been accidental. I don't know how easy it would be to deliberately search them out.

      Delete
    2. I feel like the best bet would be help from fellow bloggers/collectors. I tried searching COMC, but they don't list him on true cameo cards like the Doran or Vaughn where he's randomly photo bombing the trading card. On the other hand, COMC does list him on the Pirates team card.

      Delete
    3. TCDb listed him on the Pirates card which is how I found our about it. The other 2 just turned up in job lots. I wonder if anyone is doing a "the other guy on the card" blog.

      Delete