Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Gypsy Queen Short Print

After I had blogged yesterday about collection drift I had an envelope containing a couple of cards arrive in the post. The mail was from Dean in the UK Facebook group. He had responded after I asked if anyone had a copy of this card they would like to rehome.

Card Number 579: Topps Gypsy Queen, 2020; #305

Cards numbered 301-320 in this set were short prints of retired players, legends of the game and Hall of Famers.


The illustrated front captures Tony in the act of watching the batter at the plate ahead of him. This was one of the prime pieces of advice he gave to aspiring hitters - watch the pitcher as much as possible. I think tje picture works well in the old timey frame.

The back is old timey as well. I don't think this is based off an actual Gypsy Queen cigarette card design. The write-up is one of those oddball statistics that Topps like to put on baseball cards because it's highly unlikely anyone will ever check them. I don't take anything on trust any more with Topps but I'm not going to look it up.


I don't know how short the print run of the 'short print' cards were, but they weren't easy pulls based on how many I've seen so I'm quite pleased to add this to my collection.

Total: 579 cards


2 comments:

  1. Oooh... another Gwynn donut card. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yep. I should have pointed that out in the post!

      Delete