Sunday, February 28, 2021

One Card Only - Clearly the king of swing

My mum is a big fan of Disney's The Jungle Book and so I had a certain tune running through my head while scanning this card.

Card Number 604: Fleer Ultra Swing Kings, 2000; #4SK

This is an acetate card, similar to the Fleer Ultra Seasons Crown cards from 1996. Clearly Fleer liked the idea of clear cards.

I am surprised that Swing Kings hasn't been used more often for insert series.


The back is amusing because the printing has to fit into Tony's outline. The little write-up is straight from the Weird Skybox Cardback Write-Ups catalogue. The person responsible for Fleer Ultra in 2000 didn't mind dipping into their sister-brand's style guide of addressing their comment to the player on the card. In an awkward way.


"You've already got 3,000 hits, Tony, so the next one should be a given, right? Because you never think that, it always is."

I understand what they mean. I don't understand why they chose to say it like that.

Anyway, back to the King of the Swingers, my mum had a significant birthday recently and we adopted her an orangutan at a nearby zoo in honour of King Louie from the Jungle Book. We also gave her a cuddly King Louie from the Disney Store. Here he is just before being shipped. (We added the party hat!)


On that totally unrelated personal note, I will say goodbye for today!

Total: 604 cards


2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to your mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a good one. We are going to have a party when lockdown is lifted.

      Delete