Monday, February 1, 2021

Collection Drift part 1 - Tiny Gwynns

My wife came up with the Tiny Gwynn joke about a mini card, but it works well for today's blog content. 

A couple of months ago some Tony Gwynn figures came up on eBay from a UK seller so I nabbed them. They aren't the first Tony Gwynn figures I've bought. I also have an Ojo figure that I bought in Cooperstown. (I will dig that out and blog about it one day.)


The figure on the left is a Corinthian Headliner. I'd only ever seen soccer figures produced by Corinthian, but it makes sense that they did other sports as well. This figure is from 1998 - as can be seen by the yellow band on the top left of the card. That's the year the Padres reached the World Series.

The smaller figure is a Micro Star made a couple of years earlier by Creative Images International. It was from a range of 50 players and was released in 1995. It's in a snapcase so the card hasn't warped like the Corinthian figure. The back has a little write up about Tony's record-setting season in 1994. Unlike the Corinthian the Micro Star doesn't show him holding the bat ready for a left-handed swing, even though the information on the cardback includes him being a lefty.

I know these aren't baseball cards, but I like having them in my collection, and it's OK for collections to drift slightly, isn't it? (Please say yes!)


6 comments:

  1. Collections can drift as little or as much as the collector wants them to! I want to say there's no wrong way to collect--with the exceptions being things like ripping other collectors off, or counting on things to appreciate in value that may not, neither of which applies here at all. There's no wrong way to define what does and doesn't fit your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'very tried to keep this blog pure and focussed but this might be the thin end of a wedge

      Delete
  2. I believe people should collect whatever brings a smile to their face. I have some SLU's and I think an Oyo... but I don't think I own either of these figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Gwynn items here, and the "Tiny Gwynn" joke is just perfect! Of course you can collect any item you like of your favorite player - cards or not. (Just ask Collecting Cutch)

    I was going to ask if you had any Gwynn Starting Lineup figures (I had one as a kid but I threw it on the roof of my old house for some dumb reason)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't have a Starting Lineup figure... at least not yet ;-)

      Delete