Saturday, October 10, 2020

Earth-shaking cards

Today's post will see this blog reach 400 cards, which is a milestone I wasn't really expecting to get to when I  started out on this project. Especially as I was aiming for 394 cards. 

I've decided to celebrate with two cards produced by Pacific that really embody the weird collecting journey I have been on this year. These came out of an eBay lot and tick a lot of the boxes you'd expect from Pacific cards.

  • Colourful - check
  • Spanish - check
  • Variation for no reason - check
  • Strange choice for a set name - check

Card Number 399: Pacific Invincible Seismic Force, 1999; #16 (portrait photo)

I do wonder if there's a link between California, earthquakes and this set name.


I quite like the orange. It's a bit different.

"Despligues de Fuerza!" That's Spanish for "Seismic Force".


There are only 20 numbered cards in this set, but Pacific produced two versions of each card. With the same number. That means there are actually 40 cards in the insert series to collect. 

Pacific liked to do things like this to keep collectors on their toes!

Card Number 400: Pacific Invincible Seismic Force, 1999; #16 (running photo)
Basically, Pacific swapped the photo theme round to have an action photo on the front...


...and a portrait photo on the back.

The text is the same on both cards. It's just the photography that's different. 

And that takes the total up to 400 cards!

2 comments:

  1. Who knew that there were photo variations before Topps started flooding the hobby with them? :D

    As for earthquakes... it's been awhile since I felt one. I like it when we have lots of small ones that we can feel. It gives me a feeling like the fault is releasing some pressure. The big ones are not fun and can be pretty darn scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pacific seem to have done it a lot once they got into it. The "Pacific Online" set had photo variations for several players in the base set, as well as two parallel sets, both with the photo variations. I don't think they were "short prints" though so they aren't as hard to track down as some of the more recent variations tend to be.

      Delete