Sunday, October 4, 2020

One Card Only: Sharing the Spotlight with Cal

Today I'm mashing up two post themes - my regular Sunday "one card only" theme, and my occasional "sharing the spotlight" theme where I show cards that Tony shares with another player.

The baseball great sharing this card with Tony needs no introduction. He is a legend in his own right and was inducted to the Hall of Fame with Tony in the same year this card was released. Like Tony he played throughout the 80s and 90s for the same team, in his case the Baltimore Orioles, and he entered the Hall in his first year of eligibility. 

He is, of course, Cal Ripken Jr.

This is one of those rare cards that I will just leave to speak for itself. If I had one comment it would be that Upper Deck knew how to make really nice cards. The baseball card hobby lost out when Upper Deck lost their licensing.

Card Number 391: Upper Deck Masterpieces, 2007; #42



Total: 391/394

3 comments:

  1. UD Masterpieces was a beautiful product line. I wonder how many collectors out there had the opportunity to get Cal and Tony to sign their copies of this card. That would be such a cool collectible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I just found your blog. Love it.
    Gwynn card collector since I was 10. Still building. I have a respectable collection, I think.
    This is one card I do not have. Nice card. Love the way these two guys are linked

    ReplyDelete