Thursday, October 15, 2020

A couple more oddballs

'Oddballs' are cards that aren't released by the big manufacturers (although they might be made by the big manufacturers for another company). They aren't often that odd, but they are hard to categorise and file so they all end up getting lumped in together. I have put some up on the blog before, way back in May!

Card Number 413: Post, 1990; #5

These cards were available in packs of 3 inside boxes of breakfast cereal (like Marshmallow Alphabits, pictured here.)


It's a close up photo with no recognisable team logos. That's because these cards weren't licensed by Major League Baseball. However, they did include the team name, unlike logoless cards released in 2020.


The card was produced for Post by Michael Schechter Associates (MSA), who produced cards for a few different companies. I can't find the company online now so I think it has ceased trading.

Card Number 414: K-Mart Superstars. 1990; #5

This was produced by Topps as an exclusive for K-Mart. The 33 "super glossy" cards were sold in a box like a deck of playing cards.


The back of the card is fairly dull, with a stats box and a one line factoid.


I like this card because it reminds me of visiting a K-Mart in Brooklyn on one of my trips to America. This may sound ludicrous to American readers (and I know there are a few of you), but wandering around a K-Mart, Target or Wal-Mart is always something I look forward to when planning a trip to the USA. Give me ten minutes in a card aisle in Target and I'm usually a very happy bunny.

Total: 414 cards



4 comments:

  1. I totally understand the interest in wandering around Target or Walmart. During the summer when its triple digits, I'll usually drive down to Target, shop, and get my daily steps. But with COVID, this summer I just stayed home and gained weight.

    P.S. I think each collector has their own definition of an oddball. Like for me... I even consider products produced by main manufacturers. A good example would be the Topps Coins from the late 80's or the Donruss All-Stars from the same era. But I'm sure another collector might classify those two examples differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really got a good working definition. I didn't categorise the Fleer 7-11 giveaways as oddballs but I suppose they are, really.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too. Livens things up even if they aren't the most lively cards.

      Delete