Tuesday, August 23, 2022

A star from California

This post was made possible by Casey who contacted me saying he wanted to send me a card. In fact, he sent a few, all the way from California. (Casey is a church pastor as well as a baseball card collector, and here is his blog.)

The card in this post isn't the card Casey originally got in touch with me about - I'm still researching that one. However, I wanted to say thank you to Casey for being such a star and what better way than with a card he sent me featuring Tony as a Star Attraction?

Card Number 1028: Upper Deck, 1997; #SA5

These insert cards are die-cut along the top and bottom edges. 


I like cards that use a cameo portrait on the back - especially if Tony is smiling. The silver grey stripes are reminiscent of Fleer in the late 80s, but the use of space makes the design look classy. 


The cardback references the 1997 season, which is unusual on a card released in 1997. 

These cards were only available in retail packs labelled 'Memorabilia Madness' - the Upper Deck set in 1997 was the first baseball product to include memorabilia cards, including the very first memorabilia cards for Tony! 

The Star Attractions cards were included at a rate of one per memorabilia madness pack as an extra perk for collectors trying to get their hands on cards with little swatches of cloth in them. I presume the cards were printed late in the year, which is why they reference the 1997 season. (I've cribbed these details from Baseballcardpedia.)

Many thanks again to Casey for being such a star and sending me this Star Attraction card!

Total: 1028 cards

3 comments:

  1. When I think of the 90's and Upper Deck... I usually think of their holograms. But they were definitely the Kings of the Die-Cuts as well. Nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony definitely had one of the best smiles of the game in the 90's! GLad you enjoy the card!

    ReplyDelete