Sunday, August 28, 2022

One card only - Tony's first home run

Opinion is divided on 'manufactured relics' like this card. They're usually found as bonus cards in blaster boxes. While I realise they aren't to every collector's taste, they're a bit out of the ordinary and I like adding them to my collection. This particular one was an eBay purchase from a seller in Germany.

Card Number 1035: Topps First Home Run Medallions, 2015; #FHRM-TG

These cards were bonus cards in blaster boxes of Series Two of Topps's flagship set. The 'medallion' is a heavy piece of metal embedded in a partial hole scooped out of the foamboard material used to make the 'card'.


Credit to Topps for using a photo of Tony in a uniform from roughly the right era to commemorate an event in 1982. (I feel like I'm crediting Topps for doing the bare minimum these days!)

If I was more co-ordinated I would have posted this on 22nd August! But sadly I have only just realised I have missed that by a handful of days. 


Wrigley Field is on my list of ball parks I want to visit. As Tony hit his first home run there, I think I might have to make it a priority when I'm next planning a trip to the USA.

Total: 1035 cards

4 comments:

  1. I like these manufactured relics as bonuses for blasters, but I'd be upset if it took the place of an actual game used memorabilia or autographed card. As for Topps... they can use all the credit they can get :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good time would be seeing if the Cubs are in town July 26th-30th then you could take a game as well attend The National Sports Card Convention in nearby Rosemont

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's helpful advice. I might look into it next year

      Delete
  3. I'm becoming a fan of these manufactured relics, patch and medallion cards but some of these are really thick.

    ReplyDelete