Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Blue DonRuss

Have you ever bought a complete set just to get one card? A couple of months ago, I did.


The 1990 set by DonRuss is one of those incredibly common junk wax sets that I quite like. I think it's the red borders. I have a few cards from it (which I blogged about in the very early days of this blog) but I hadn't seen blue versions of the cards before (even though Fuji had mentioned them in a comment on that post from the early days of this blog!) Some junk wax is harder to find, especially here in Wales.

But then this sealed factory set of the 'Best of the National League' turned up in the UK collectors group on Facebook. Adrian, the seller, had three of them. I had a think about it and then decided to take one off his hands. Mainly because when the player you collect is listed on the back, you kind of have to, right?


Opening up the box, there was an inner tray with three blocks of shrink-wrapped cards.


The 'puzzles' that are mentioned on the outside of the box were underneath the blocks of cards. Does anyone care about puzzles?


Anyway, I had to open all three shrink-wrapped blocks to find Tony's card, but here it is!

Card Number 1039: DonRuss Best of the National League, 1990; #11


It's not the greatest photo of Tony at the plate, but it's a close up cropped shot rather than the photos that were used on the cards in the regular set released by DonRuss that year. The photo clearly shows the Mimsbandz anti-drugs wristguards that Tony wore.

The back is a bit dull, but the yellow means they look very different to cards from the regular release. 


I have taken this card out of the set and put it in my binders. I have no plans for the rest of the cards. I know a few people who collect other players from that era, so I might send a few cards out. In the unlikely event that any regular readers want one (or more) of these cards, please let me know!

Total: 1039 cards


3 comments:

  1. I always like the Donruss Baseballs Best set because they always had a different look the the yearly release.
    As for buying an entire set for one player, I have done that many times. I have collecting Gwynn most of my hobby life, and when you are the best hitter in baseball, you are going to be found in a lot of oddball sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this set for the Roberto Alomar back in the 90s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THose blue borders look way nicer than the red ones form the base release that year.

    ReplyDelete