Monday, August 15, 2022

Modern Monday - pristine!

This card arrived in the mail from Mark B - thank you so much, Mark! I've been a bit slack on collecting the 2022 issues. This is the first card from this particular range produced by Topps, which has been revived this year for the first time since 2005. 

Card Number 1026: Topps Pristine, 2022; #69

I'm not going to comment on the card number. 

It's a shiny front, with a photo that looks quite familiar. However, I can't find it on another card in my Topps binder. The 'TP' logo is a bit twee. 

Topps are pulling a Panini-esque stunt on the back and re-using the photo. There is also a quote in the write up from Joe Girardi. I'd like to do a list sometime of all the quotes about Tony that have been included on cardbacks. 



There are two particular things about this cardback that annoy me. Firstly, it includes Tony's weight - at the maximum top end of the range. He was not 225lbs his whole career. Secondly, the card has a picture of Tony fielding, and the write up is about his batting prowess. No mention of the five gold gloves he won for fielding!

Would it be so hard to align the photo to the activity in the write up?

I'm probably just grouchy because we are at the tail end of a heatwave here in Wales (don't laugh!) but I don't want to appear an ingrate. So a massive 'Diolch yn fawr' to Mark for sending me this really great card and helping me fill another gap in my collection.

Total: 1026 cards


5 comments:

  1. I think the idea of collecting all the quotes about a certain player on the bacs of their cards is a super fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt I'll ever open a high-end product... but if I did... I'd probably choose Pristine. I like the whole pack within a pack within a pack thing.

    Not sure about including the weight of retired players. Seems silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to figure out Topps vision on this release of Pristine and I think I have failed. It looks like a disco ball behind him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for card #69 significance, 1969 was San Diego Padres debut year. Now...get your mind out of the gutter! 😁

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, that's a fabulous numerical connection!

      Delete