Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Mini and Big

A couple more Topps cards in this post, but taking a break from the regular Topps releases.

First up, a baseball card that was available in the UK. For a couple of years in the late 80s Topps released some baseball cards in the UK, possibly because there was an upswing in interest in American sports. I remember buying one packet of NFL cards. (I think it was 1986 because I have a notion that I bought them on a school residential trip.)

However, I didn't see (or buy) the baseball cards when they were released. They turn up occasionally for sale - I bought a few at a collectibles fair a couple of years ago. My Tony Gwynn card arrived in an eBay lot.

Card Number 11: Topps Mini 1988, #29


I should have done a 'comparison' scan, but take it from me this is about 15mm shorter and 10mm less wide than a normal-sized baseball card. The design is OK overall, and the photo is Tony's follow-through. His eyes seem to be following the ball.


The back includes a handy expository panel for explaining a baseball term. There's a few stats and an illustrated factoid. I think Topps must have made an editorial decision not to try and match the cartoon character's skin colour to the player. That would probably have gone horribly wrong. It's still a bit weird having a cartoon white guy on the back. Why not just a ball going through a hoop, if you have to have a drawing at all.

Card Number 12: Topps Big 1990,#93

Like the Mini cards, Topps Big was a standalone set available separately from the main Topps cards. This one was issued in 1990 and was sent to me by Bill in New Mexico.

Tte card is 6mm longer along its longest edge and 3 mm wider than a normal-sized card. Topps Big was the range aimed at children, hence the mix of graphics.

The back has another case of white-skinned cartoon guy doing what Tony apparently does. It jars slightly, but it probably didn't feel quite so insensitive 30 years ago.

Unusually they have a box for Tony's fielding stats as well. Maybe being a "Big" card gave them extra space so they could include all the stats!

Total: 12/394

2 comments:

  1. Tony kinda looks Asian in the cartoon on the 1990 Topps Big card. By the way... I love the run of Topps Big cards. I have a binder housing my collection... although I'm missing one or two series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never really noticed that before about the cartoon, but now you've mentioned it, I can't unsee it.

      Delete