Sunday, May 24, 2020

One card only - Topps Reserve

I have a few Tony Gwynn relic cards. There are loads of different types of 'relic' cards out there, with almost any kind of thing Tony ever touched chopped up and stuck into baseball cards. I have some swatches and some bat splinters embedded into various cards. For today's post I'm going to show you the first one I ever bought.

Card Number 45: Topps Reserve 2002; #TRJ-TG


It's a piece of plain grey cloth! So many of Tony's swatch cards are grey. It claims to be from an authentic game-worn uniform, but how can you tell really?


CONGRATULATIONS! screams the back of the card.

I still have a slight thrill at the idea of relic cards. I actually pulled one recently from a Topps 2019 jumbo packet that a friend brought me back from America. Talk about the buzz when you realise you've got something a bit out of the ordinary!

I'm not exactly sure when I acquired this card. I know I bought it off eBay and it was the first Tony Gwynn relic card in my collection.

Total: 45/394

1 comment:

  1. Even though we'll never know if they're truly game used... I still enjoy adding new relic cards to my Gwynn collection. I'm not sure why... but I tend to trust memorabilia cards from the 90's and early 2000's more than the ones produced today.

    ReplyDelete