Monday, May 31, 2021

Modern Monday - Topps pay tribute again

This rather lovely card came to me courtesy of Graham in the UK collector's group on Facebook. It's a high end card printed on 1mm thick stock that feels more like plastic than cardboard. 

Card Number 680: Topps Tribute, 2021; #58

The blue outline on this scanned card is silvery foilboard in real life.


I would guess this photo was taken around about 1986 and it felt familiar. It looks very similar to the photo on the Topps insert released in 2019 that used the 1975 template.


I would not be surprised if those photos were taken a split second after each other. The blurred out faces in the crowd behind look like they might be the same, particularly the guy in the blue cap by Tony's right hip.

The back is incredibly clean for a cardback and has some great factoids on it.


I didn't know about Tony's excellent hit rate against Hall of Fame pitchers. It goes to show how Tony wasn't in awe of anybody. He was happy to try and hit against the greats of his generation as much as against people nobody remembers. (To that end, I think it's really impressive that he recorded his 1,000th career hit off the legendary Nolan Ryan!)

When I discussed this card with Graham, he said he really liked the Tribute set this year and that it was one of Topp's nicer designs. I agree with him completely and am very pleased to have added this card to my collection.

Total: 680 cards


1 comment:

  1. I think you're right about the photos. You've got sharp eyes.

    ReplyDelete