Saturday, May 29, 2021

Brotherly bonus card

Chris Gwynn, Tony's younger brother, was also a Major League Baseball player. He featured on a card with Tony shortly after making it to the majors, and of course had his own cards too. 

I recently purchased a joblot of random cards because there were several cards from the Leaf 1993 set, which I have toyed with trying to setbuild. It turned out all the Leaf cards were from the Update set (#450 and above). And as an added bonus, one of the Leaf cards was of Chris Gwynn!

I think Chris really looks like his older brother in the photo on the front.



The really nice thing about the Leaf set from 1993 are the cardbacks that include images of relevant landmarks and city-scapes. I presume this is somewhere in Kansas City.


Chris had a fraction of the number of baseball cards that Tony had. Although Chris mainly featured on base cards in common sets, I have only got two of his cards. I have probably got more cards of Tony that mention Chris on the back than cards of Chris!

4 comments:

  1. Chris has a cool card from the 91 Topps set, I think. A wide shot of him sliding into third base. And a sweaty closeup of him on his 92 topps card is also memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A contact has said he will send me the 1991 card so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

      Delete
  2. One of the ways I try to connect with my students (since we've been on Zoom the past year) is I have a different attendance question of the day. Many of these questions are based on National Days. Last Monday was Brothers Day. I had planned on writing a post about MLB brothers... but never got around to it. Glad you did though.

    Upper Deck made a cool card featuring Chris and Tony. I think it was in the 1992 or 1993 set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in 1992.
      Blogged it here almost a year ago: https://point394.blogspot.com/2020/06/sharing-spotlight-2.html?m=1

      Delete