Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Reusing photos raises questions...

No new cards today, but something that's stood out to me. As I've acquired more cards I have started noticing the same photos being reused. Recently I was hunting for a blog post to check something, and I found the post with the Fleer Tony Gwynn Commemorative cards from 1991. I noticed something I hadn't picked up on before.

This is one of the cards - #5 in the insert set.


It wasn't the front that caught my eye. It was the back.


I had just been flicking through my Topps binder looking at cards from 2021, which I why I noticed this connection.


That is the Topps Archives insert from 2021 Series One. And that is the exact same photo that was used on the back of the Fleer card in 1991 - except it's not close-cropped.

So, what does this mean? Have Topps acquired the photos that Fleer used in the past? This may explain why so many cards that give me a feeling of deja vu give me a feeling of deja vu! Except, I've only ever been looking at Topps cards to find where the photos are originally used. I will need to be looking in my Fleer binder from now on.

I doubt this is a ground-breaking revelation, but I felt a bit stunned when I discovered it. Maybe other bloggers would be able to shed some more light on the situation?

4 comments:

  1. The photo may have been taken by an independent photographer or 3rd party (think Getty Images) who still holds the rights to the image. Topps may have acquired it through that route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. A deal with Fleer could well have lapsed by now. It's 30 years later.

      Delete
  2. Can't help you with the photo question... although Jimetal7212's response makes sense. That being said... very cool that you were able to figure out the same image was used for these two cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just remind me that I don't look closely enough at my cards before I "file" them away.

    ReplyDelete