Monday, July 19, 2021

Modern Monday - still a Diamond King

I recently bought a small lot of Padres cards on eBay. It was an assortment of parallels from a number of sets and it included some base cards from the Panini Diamond Kings set released this year. I already had a 2021 Diamond Kings insert featuring Tony, but I didn't have his base card. I do now.

Card Number 708: Panini Diamond Kings, 2021; #30


It's a fairly normal Diamond Kings card front. Nothing too complicated. It has a nice finish on the card front; a sort of matt canvassy effect.

The cardback is a bit plain, with some purple prose in the write up. I grew up in a religious family and am used to the phrase "The Lord giveth; the Lord taketh away". It's amusing to see the same thing said about Tony.


We established last time I reviewed a Diamond Kings card that the characters next to the copyright notice are Chinese. I'm waiting for the day when Tony appears on a card written in one of the Asian languages. Topps have done some Japanese cards before but Tony wasn't included. I'd love to be able to add that to the French and Spanish language cards I've got already.

Total: 708 cards


6 comments:

  1. The Diamond Kings cards are always some of my favorite releases each year. They always have an attainable amount of variations unlike other releases through out the year where boredom of the chase sets in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nice cards that are overlooked because of the licensing issue. Panini produce some very nice products.

      Delete
  2. I'm not the biggest fan of this year's DK design... but I do enjoy the canvas feel Panini uses. And I too hope that Gwynn one day gets a card with Japanese text at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the designs are starting to blend into each other. I feel the same way about Gypsy Queen and Allen & Ginter.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure "He could giveth, and he could taketh away." is ungrammatical. I think it's probably "He could give, and he could take away.", even in old-school biblical language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were trying for gravitas and missed. Still nowhere near the cringeworthy cardbacks that Skybox used to print, though.

      Delete