Sunday, July 11, 2021

One card only - metal manufactured relic

Brian sent me today's card. It's a "manufactured relic", which is basically a chunk of metal embedded in some 2mm thick foamboard.

Card Number 706: Topps 70th Anniversary Logo Patch, 2021; #T70P-TG


The metal logo rather dominates the card. These were included in blaster boxes of Topps Series 2, as a bonus item along with the packs. 

The back is fairly plain, manly explaining the nature of the card. This is quite helpful information as it has the year, card type and the set name on. I'm actually surprised Topps have been this helpful. Usually they bury the details or leave it up to the collector to hunt the card down on Trading Card Database.


Manufactured relics like this aren't everyone's cup of tea, but, hey, it's a new Tony Gwynn card for the collection and I am never going to say no to one of those. 

Brian is better known among UK collectors for busting lots of junk wax. He also sent me another card that's 30 years older than this one. I'll be posting about it tomorrow.

Total: 706 cards


2 comments:

  1. I just inherited a few of these from a reader, but there wasn't a Gwynn. I have mixed emotions when I held one in my hand... but a new Gwynn card is a new Gwynn card. If I can nab one for a buck, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As has been wrote in many past Blogs here about Panini, if only they could get a MLB license it might force Topps to do better. This is not one of the better "relic" cards this year, or any year.

    ReplyDelete