Monday, September 14, 2020

Modern Monday - Where's Tony?

I was trawling across eBay a couple of weeks ago and ran a search for Padres Baseball Cards. I noticed a small lot of nine cards for sale, all modern stuff, but something must have pinged my "Tony Radar" because I took a second look. I've saved the photo from the listing. Can you see what I saw?


Obviously one of the first things you see is the luxuriant backdrop. I can't decide if it's a fluffy cushion or shag carpeting. Neither of which I would really recommend as a surface for photographing cards, but it's not reflective, I suppose.

Anyway on the right hand edge, which I'm sure you will have seen, there's Tony peeping around the corner of another card. 

I didn't recognise it. Turns out it was an insert card from the Topps Update series in 2019, and, in fact it was the Chrome version. 

Card Number 344: Topps Chrome Update, 2019; FBC-16

As it's a Chrome card, it's shiny! It's also a bit unusual because it shows "young Tony" from the 80s. Most recent cards seem to be using pictures of Tony towards the end of his career - for example, the recent(ish) DonRuss cards I posted last week or these cards from Topps issued this year. It's a good choice of photo. 

On the back it explains why Tony qualified for an insert card about "The Family Business", talking about how his brother and son also played Major League baseball.


That would be quite a fun baseball trivia question. What have the Padres had 3 of, the Dodgers had 2 of and the Royals and Brewers had one each of? The answer would be "Members of the Gwynn family playing for them!"

This card has also taught me a useful lesson - take the time to have a good look at photos in eBay listings!

Total: 344/394 (Fifty cards to my target!)

2 comments:

  1. Good eyes. I haven't targeted Padres lots in quite some time, but right now would be a good time to do it... with their prospects, superstars like Machado and Tatis, and legends like Gwynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally pick up Padres lots but I don't really collect Padres cards at the moment. I'm mainly looking for Tony Gwynn cards I'm missing. The hype around Fernando Tatis Jr has meant a lot of people in the Facebook groups are jumping on Padres cards. Two years ago I had a free run at any that people were getting shot of. Ah well. I'd rather have the Padres doing well and attracting attention:-)

    ReplyDelete