Sunday, November 8, 2020

One card only - Mystique!

Every so often I browse an eBay seller and almost inevitably I find a Fleer card range from the turn of the century that I'd never encountered before. And that's the short account of how I ended up with a Fleer Mystique card.

Card Number 467: Fleer Mystique, 1999; #68

In terms of unusual choices for photos on a baseball card, this one of Tony doing an impression of a pitcher is noteworthy.


As you can guess from the scan quality, the card front is shiny. It's also got the set name emblazoned across the background.

The card back is vaguely futuristic with its graduated silver sheen.


The factoid compiler has pulled out a selection of stats from the 1997 season that shows just how Tony peaked that season. It was his most productive in terms of hits, homers and RBI - in fact it was the only season he topped 100 RBI.

Although it's not numbered, this card is listed as a Short Print on Trading Card Database, but it was a cheap add to my eBay order, so I don't think it was that short a short print run.

Total: 467 cards


4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Gwynn was one of those "peel off" SP's. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peel off? Hmm, maybe I need to do some more research

      Delete
    2. Every pack of Fleer Mystique had a card with a shiny foil peel card. It was like a surprise in each pack. That's how the inserts came, but not every peel card was an insert. They also had base cards. I just assumed they were normal cards, but today I figured out that the "peel" base cards are actually short prints.

      Delete
    3. That's really useful info - thanks!

      Delete