Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Scholastic Skybox

Skybox did some odd ranges and some odd cards. I don't think I'm being harsh, saying that. (Last week I blogged about a card I labelled "whacky") The Emotion ranges in the mid-90s are similarly strange. Not least the choice of "emotion". Last time I blogged one of these cards I queried whether the emotion was actually an emotion. 

I'm going to do the same thing here.

Card Number 474: Skybox Emotion, 1995; #187

The emotion they chose to highlight was "Scholar". There's no debate here, is there? I mean, that just isn't an emotion.

It's a great photo though. It looks like Tony is saying "ooooooh".


The back is a confusing composite of different photos, which includes Tony with and without his Van Dyck beard. 


Considering the emotion is "Scholar" there is no mention of Tony's pioneering use of video, the hours he spent scrutinising pitchers, or even his recommendation to at least spend your time in the on deck circle watching how the pitcher throws the ball at the guy ahead of you in the line up.

Last week I said that i doubted any collector misses Skybox. That's not going to change soon.

Total: 474 cards



3 comments:

  1. Yeah... "scholar" is definitely NOT an emotion. That being said... I do love this set. Actually I'd love to own the baseball, basketball, and hockey sets and put them into binders one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these sets I got baseball,football,and basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I was wrong about the lack of love for Skybox. Glad the sets are still popular.

    ReplyDelete