Monday, February 14, 2022

A timely arrival for Fleer Fortnight

Fleer is out of commission as a card producer at the moment. I think the brand name is still owned by Upper Deck after Fleer went into liquidation in 2005. So there is no chance of doing a 'Modern Monday' post using a Fleer card. But, a couple of days ago some cards arrived through the mail. They were more cards from Glenn, who is winnowing his large collection. And one of the cards was a Fleer card. 

So, this card is brand new to me, even though it's 25 years old!

Card Number 946: Fleer Ultra Top 30, 1997; #12

This is a really nice insert card from one of the peak years of the Fleer Ultra range. 


I would argue with the use of the word "Possibly" to start off the write up on the back. At the time Tony was the best pure hitter in baseball. Especially in 1997 when he was about to win his fourth batting title in a row.


Whether he was the best ever is debateable. Ted Williams hit .406 in 1941. Some players before the Second World War achieved more. But I don't feel those are comparable eras. However, given that Ted Williams retired in the September of the year Tony was born, I would argue that Tony was the greatest active hitter of his own lifetime and since.

So a massive thank you to Glenn for this card - and also for making me smile before I had even opened the envelope!


Total: 946 cards

3 comments:

  1. How about Best Hitter of His Generation? I'd vote for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. And subsequent generations. Best Hitter Active Since 1960.

      Delete
  2. Best. Hitter. Ever!
    I may be a little biased.

    ReplyDelete