Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Brand new for 2022

40 seasons after Tony made his debut for the Padres, he is still featuring on cards printed by Topps. And 40 seasons on, Topps are celebrating him making it to the big leagues. This is the first card printed in 2022 to land in my collection and it came via Michael in the UK collectors group on Facebook - cheers Michael!

Card Number 985: Topps Welcome to the Show insert, 2022; #WTTS-41


If that card looks familiar, it's because Topps used it last year on their 1986 tribute inserts (which I blogged about amost exactly a year ago).


Topps cleaned up the photo a bit. The white line around Tony makes it much more visually impactful and they haven't cropped it as closely this year. While this is the early 80s uniform, looking at it, Tony looks a bit older than I would expect him to look like in a photo from that era.

The back is a reasonable summary of what Tony got up to before playing in the Major Leagues. I haven't double-checked the stats that Topps are using but they look right.

I know I haven't blogged for a couple of weeks. I was away on holiday - which you can read about on my personal blog if you want - and then have been busy with work. I hope to get back into blogging regularly next week!

Total: 985 cards

2 comments:

  1. A. Love that jersey!

    B. I've been struggling to find the time to write (and read) blog posts too.

    C. Only 15 cards away from 1k! That's pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Welcome To The Show insert is a definite improvement. Love seeing that early '80s Padres uniform.

    Can't wait to see your 1,000th Gwynn card!

    ReplyDelete